TV, magazines and other guilty pleasures.
March 20, 2012 § 1 Comment
Can I tell you a secret?
I like running on the treadmill.
It’s kind of like a break. No navigation (you know, because it’s soooooo hard to make sure I know where I’m going on the route I’ve run 4058 times), no scary dogs (those Shih-tzus on the trail can get cray-cray), no ogling men (ok…that’s real), just me and the belt.
Oh, and did I mention the TV and magazine?
It’s my guilty pleasure. Not gonna lie. When I get on the treadmill, I pretend a box of invisibility comes down over me and I just get in the zone. I stretch extra good, then turn up the pace, find a channel that has something good on, open up my mag, and go. I don’t have a TV at home and I
rarely buy have zero dollars in my budget for magazines, so going to the gym, picking from the magazine shelf and flipping on cable feels like an absolute luxury.
A few of my favorite shows to watch while running:
- Top Chef: I have been known to schedule workouts around this show, even on beautiful days. Not something I’m proud of, but true.
- Project Runway: I haven’t watched the All Stars season going on now at all and I’m so sad! Last season, Ryan Auld from Baton Rouge was on and he was my all-time favorite. I was at Barnes the other day and he came and did a little interview with a girl at the table next to me! I love him.
- House Hunters International: So fun to dream about what it would be like to fix up a little apartment in Florence or have a beach house in Aruba!
- The Today Show: I like to keep up. 🙂
- Fairly Legal, White Collar, Law & Order: SVU, NCIS, Bones: I watch episodes of these if they’re on, but I don’t have a TV at home so I’m not really up on all the seasons and episodes. But I know enough to stay interested for a while.
- House Beautiful: Semi-obsessed with this magazine. They have great taste, those House Beautiful-ers. Plus I like that there are lots of pictures and not just tons of tiny print (I’m looking at you, Vogue).
- O Magazine: Is that what it’s called? I can’t even remember really. The Oprah mag. One of those can keep you going for a week of rain.
- Shape, Self, Health: These are pretty much all the same (oh, and Fitness, too), but I like them. I always think, I am definitely going to do that arms workout soon. And I never do. But I feel momentarily inspired.
- Runner’s World and Running Times: Hands-down favorites. Such quality publications. I drag these out and try to make them last as long as possible when I get my hands on an issue. It’s fun to read a running magazine while you’re running and feel those warm, fuzzy I’m-part-of-the-running-community-at-large feelings.
Not only is the treadmill my favorite place to get decorating ideas and catch up on what’s going on in Syria, but it’s also my favorite way to do speedwork and hills. A couple of workouts I love (yes, love):
- Warm up for a mile or so, then do 8x400m at 90-95% effort with 400m recovery in between each rep. Cool down. I love this one! Each repeat goes by so fast and after the workout’s over, you feel amazing. Exhausted but exhilarated.
- Again, warm up, then do 4x1mile at 5k pace, with 400m recovery in between each. Cool down. Great one for if you’re training for something a little longer and getting close to race date.
- Warm up, then dial the incline up to 4 for 1:00, 5 for 1:00, and 6 for 1:00. Take it down to flat for 1:00 recovery. Dial up to 5 for 1:00, 6 for 1:00, 7 for 1:00, then back to flat for 1:00. Do one more ladder “up:” 6-7-8. Then come back down: 8-7-6, 7-6-5, 6-5-4. Cool down. This is probably one of my all-time favorite workouts. Just make sure you really give your quads some love on the foam roller in the hours and days following.
What are your favorite shows? Magazines?
Do you like to do speedwork on the treadmill or just dial in a pace and zone out?
What are your favorite ways to run on the treadmill?